Monday, October 24, 2016

Two weeks post marathon - what now?

Week 1
10/10-10/14: Rest. Chill. Stretch
10/15: 3 sets 10. Push ups/burpees
10/16: 2 miles, planks

Week 2
10/17: Rest
10/18: 2 miles, weights circuits. 
10/19: Rest. So sore from squats.
10/20: Rest. Still sore. 
10/21: Rest
10/22: Circuits, 40 min
10/23: 5 easy with Dani. First outdoor run since the race

***

Now what. 

I'm nearly two weeks post marathon, and lovin the break. 

Like, LOVING. 

I'm sleeping almost 8 hours at night, my digestion seems to be more settled, i feel lighter, and I'm overall just less agitated at home. 

I knew it was tough the last few months but like whoa. I was a wreck this summer! 

Immediately following the marathon (like, hours following), I was already plotting my adventure. I was ready to run again! Another marathon! Let's do it! 

And then, I proceeded to not even think about running for the next five days. 

I managed a couple of slow treadmill miles the first weekend, and then incorporated some strength training. My right arm is still not fully healed so I don't quite have full range of motion but in any case, it felt good to get sweating and get my heart rate up in a different way. 

Also. Burpees. Kiiilllll me. 

So now we're at week too. J and I squeezed in a quick workout on Tuesday, which left me slightly debilitated the rest of the week. 
FYI - lots of squats during marathon recovery- just... no. #cowboystrut 
But otherwise,  It's been nice having no set plans or schedules to heed but I also know Me. I need a dangling carrot in order to keep myself myself motivated. I need goals!

In 2017 I already know we have our annual Rainier to Ruston relay, and J and I spontaneously signed up for the rock and roll full in June, which will be his first marathon, and you know, my second.  But for the near future, I have loose plans- shorter, faster runs with an emphasis on strength. I lost a lot of muscle from my arm injury, and just being too damn tired to lift weights during training. 

For now I'll enjoy the slowdown, and relax a little before my life is taken over once again. 

Wait.

Ok, confession. I can't wait to get back to it. 

I'll never understand runners... 

No comments:

Post a Comment