Monday, August 15, 2016

Week 12 - We're basically past the first trimester.

8/9: off
8/10: 4 miles, TM
8/11: 5 miles, outside pm. 
8/12: off
8/13: 4 miles, TM
8/14: 17 miles, outside! 
8:15: rest

Totals:

Rest-3
Strength: 0 (damn it)
Miles: 30

Weirdest looking cutback week, right? I'm pretty sure I did it wrong but it goes with the theme of most of this training cycle, so whatever.  This was the first time in 12 weeks that I've taken 3 rest in a week. This used to be the norm, but that was back when I was semi normal. I just had a really hard time motivating myself to get out of bed before 5:00 all week, and I managed two short am treadmill runs, and one afternoon run outside with J, and all runs were relatively slow and easy paced. 

The scheduled long run was 12 but I decided to join Mac and Heidi for part of their 17 miler. The original plan was to run 6 with them, split up, and then run 6 solo back to the car but last minute I changed my mind and ended up running all 17. I didn't like the idea of heading back alone, so I figured a few extra miles with friends wouldn't hurt. I actually had a lot of fun most of this run

I realize the use of the word "fun" is all very relative here. 

The route was super (really really really) hilly but full of lots of twists and turns, beautiful scenery, plus a scary jaunt across a giant bridge, complete with a coyote sighting #nature and a group of confused volunteers setting up a water station for a local race. 

There was one large hill we all walked up, with paused watches, and some random stops for lights or to decide which direction to go, but for most of the time we were out running, we were moving - sometimes swiftly, sometimes at a snails pace (hills!!). Luckily the last part was a slight downhill and then flat straight away, and it was right along the waterfront.

We stopped twice at gas stations for more water and some ice, and then we were off again. We also tried to practice timing of our fuel. Mac and I took a gel at mile 6-ish and then some chews around 10,11, and then another gu at 13}, 14. I think that worked well and it took us to 17. I think for the marathon I will alternate more chews and one more gel? We shall see. 

It was the first time in a training run with more than one person, and while it was super fun and the best company, it was tricky because many times the sidewalks were not wide enough for the 3 of us, so we were lined up like little ducks for many of the miles. I did speed up a few times to power ahead, once mainly to get across that damn bridge as fast as I could, and then at the last mile to just see how fast I could finish.

I actually feel a little guilty about this, because I should have just sucked up my stubbornness and ran together with the other two, but during the bridge miles I just wanted to be OFF that thing (TOO HIGH. SO SCARY) but at the end I was feeling so good and happy that I just kept going.

That sounds so annoying, I'm surprised M or H didn't push me into traffic. Ugh sorry! 

I honestly felt pretty damn good most of the run, and i seriously am going to give all props to the massive amount of carbs I consumed the four days leading up to the run. Pizza pizza pizza and some banana bread for the win. 

Pizza is life. 🍕

So, most of this training I've been winging it, because I've been mixing two or three training plans. This is very unlike me because I generally like to stick to a strict training schedule with very little budge, but you know, this summer I've had to learn to just roll with what life deals me on the daily, and this has included training. With 8 weeks left (ahhhhhh) I decided yesterday that it would be best to follow the same plan as M and H, so we could line up our long runs. This Saturday we will tackle 18, and then I'll have a real cut back week of 13 miles as my long run. Then comes the 20, but we will deal with that when it comes. 

Hold me.

***

God's morning greeting to us before starting our run. 

#pnw 


This damn bridge. 

Some of the fastest miles of the run were from this thing. 



Guess which miles were on the bridge?
Also. My last mile was completely on weird happy runner adrenaline. 



I mean. Might as well see just how bad this tan line can get, right?




No comments:

Post a Comment