Monday, February 22, 2016

Vacation life - week 3

Week 3

This week started off with a mini vacation to the ocean! Note- a trip to the ocean in February will be wet, windy, and grey. Monsoon, anyone?

Pro- kids swam in the pool 3 times and loved watching hours of the food network in our hotel room. 

Con- we drove 4+ hours to swim in a pool and watch cable. 

Overall, the trip was successful. It's been a while since we've had any sort of vacation, so it was nice to get away from reality for a bit. we even got to recreate a photo at Ecola Park, from five years prior.

Photo fail! Also, big kids on laps are way less cute.



Even with being on vacation, I was able to fit in two solid workouts at the hotel.  I think this is the third time ever working out on vacation, and I actually really liked it! I'm so weird! The first morning I worked out, the exercise room was empty, so I was able to comfortably do as I pleased. 

On our way to Cannon Beach, we made an extended stop in Portland, because of course I needed a Little Big Burgers, and Blue Star Donut fix. That night we ended up having pizza for dinner in our hotel room. Needless to say, the workout the next morning was more out of necessity than anything else. #fueldbycarbs



The second morning, I had 5 miles on the schedule so I left the crew in the hotel room with plans to meet up later at the pool. Two other ladies were working out when I got there. I thought maybe they were friends working out but both were working out in silence; and also with terrible form! One lady was rowing without moving her arms/upper body. All wrong! I wanted so badly to give her some advice on how to row correctly but whatever, who am I, some personal trainer? The form police? Nope, just a judgemental sweaty betty. But honestly, she was doing it all sorts of wrong and I really wanted to help her for her own sake. BUT, eyes on my own paper, right? So instead I turned on my little tv in front of the treadmill and tried to block out the droning sound of the rower amid the otherwise awkward silence. The food network kept me company for most of the miles. Love it.

5 sweaty miles for the win. Also, the room was as hot as Hades, so I'm pretty sure I lost 5 lbs of sweat. Don't worry, I gained it back instantly after breakfast. #donuts

My training plan called for a 12 mile long run this week. Srsly, week 3 and you're telling me to run 12 miles? Erm, ok.

Mentally, longer runs seem easier when they're out and back but running alone on the Orting trail is not an option for me, and I didn't have any running buddies available, so I resigned myself to 12 hamster wheel miles around my neighborhood. I mentioned my plight to D, and she so graciously offered to run half of my 12 with me in Saturday morning, which really helped to break up the monotony. Plus, we were able to catch up for a bit! The rest of the run was relatively uneventful. Overall pace was 9:33. Decent but not fabulous. I also didn't feel totally drained at the end which means I know I have more or myself to give on those types of runs. So much to work on still.

Decent, right? Sure
Bonus was the beaauuuuutiful weather! 



Rounded out the week with 3 treadmill recovery miles and some planks.

Weekly recap:

2/15:

1 mile warm up, 10 min.  Strength workout 
10 min rowing (eternity)

Sore cowboy legs! 

2/16:  5 miles. 3x1 mi w .25 cd 

2/17: Weights. 40 min

2/18: 5 miles. Hills, speed intervals

2/19: Rest

2/20: 12 miles. 9:33 pace
           First 5.5 with D

2/21:  3 miles, recovery. TM, Core

Totals: 
Miles - 26
Runs: 4
XT: 2
Rest: 1



No comments:

Post a Comment