Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Pardon the Detour

I mainly use this blog as a training log of sorts, but the other day I was reading through my old blog I used to keep when I stayed home with the littles, and man were times so different. Re-reading my days as a stay at home mom to 3 under 4 years old has made me nostalgic for the days when life, while it felt more difficult, was actually waaaaay less complicated than it is now. The challenges of raising kids into teen-dom and later elementary years has been quite interesting. I've also evolved as a parent, and have felt my fair share of ups and downs. J and I are both working full time outside of the house for the first time since Wesley has been born, so this transition in itself has been....a little dizzying.

Over the years, I realize nothing has quite remained constant, not even the running - You know, the initial reason I even started to write this thing in the first place. But reflecting back on my kids' younger years has left me wanting to write more and to record my thoughts in the moments they occur. Running is one facet that intersects all roads in my life - parenting, marriage, friendships, work. But without all of those factors, none of the individual aspects would quite have the same significance. Life is complex that way.

When I re-read old blog posts about my training, it's clear that art definitely does imitate life. It's not been a linear process of "Just run more and you'll get faster/better/smarter" - it's been filled with peaks and valleys, times of despair and moments of pure joy. Just like the rest of my life.

Looking back at some really good times. Sure, times were tough, support was sparse, and the days were long. And yes, there were plenty of tears, and not only from the kids. ;)


Disneyland - 2013
Don't ask Wesley what he thought about that trip.
#shouldhavelefthisassathome















Beach day 2009?





















Wesley - the cutest baby you ever did see.



Oliver - just.... no comment.



Anyhoo!


Sorry for the weird trip down memory lane. I just... I've learned so much in the last few years. We've all grown, and changed, and continue to evolve for the better. Running has made me a better person (it's complicated, ok?) even though it's brought with it its own challenges, physically and mentally. But we all continue to grow and walk together in this life with which we've been given.

I'll continue to run and write as long as I have the passion and the desire. And also, since I paid good money to run a lot of miles in October, I'll be running at least until then....

#weird #haventevenbeendrinking



No comments:

Post a Comment